Trust in Him

Saturday, February 13, 2010

A Few of My Favorite Things


It occurred to me last night that, perhaps, some of my readers are seriously intent on being as miserable as possible during Lent. As ironic as my theme for this post is at this time of the year, I believe it is fitting to use this song from the Sound of Music to illustrate a very important point.

It would be very wrong for us to think that the penances we impose on ourselves should be suffered through with a stiff upper lip and a frown. Likewise, it would be wrong to think that others should have to put up with our grumpiness meantime. No, of all times of the year, our smiles should be most genuine during Lent. Although we cry tears of repentance and sorrow while meditating on the Passion, we should seek to brighten each others' days through the increasing graces given to us. For, as Jesus said, what merit is there in our sufferings if we do not bear them with joy? For our sufferings mean nothing if they are not offered with the same good will as Christ's sacrifice. We reach a truer joy through the sorrows of Lent... if a certain penance brings suffering and no graces, then it is not a healthy penance.

The purpose of the sorrows of Lent is not to make ourselves and our neighbors utterly miserable but, rather, to cause us appreciate the gifts of God, particularly Redemption, even more. The realization of His healing and love makes us better disposed to enjoy the wonderful things He has given us. This song certainly shows that when our lives are stormy and we are feeling sad, the things that make us happy take on more meaning, and Jesus certainly wants us to be truly happy. The Lenten season is one of sacrifice that brings on hope, sorrows that bring happiness, penance that brings true enjoyment, preparation and emptying that brings fulfilling nourishment. Without Lent, there could be no Easter... but there IS an Easter.


Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favorite things

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things

When the dog bites
When the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad

3 comments:

  1. Another wise and balanced view from you, Sadie. Thanks for your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all about perspective isn't it? Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post!
    I love that song!
    I might know the words to this entire movie by heart!!!

    ReplyDelete