Trust in Him

Friday, March 5, 2010

False Piety (Journal Entry)

Let me be faithful to you to the end, and follow you unflinchingly to the cross.

"And when ye pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites, that love to stand and pray in the synagogues and corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men: Amen I say to you, they have received their reward." (Matthew 6:5)

My Jesus,

Spare me from the evils of false piety. In my search for you, let me never overstep myself so that I may be constantly in obedience to your will. Truly, the best actions mean nothing if they do not coincide with your Divine Plan. Nor does the path of a vocation yield any fruit if it is not a true calling from you. I ask that you take whatever self-will I have and replace it with yours, take whatever knowledge I have so that I may learn from those who know more, take whatever pious acts that I may willingly practice and replace them with obedience to which I must willingly submit. Override my judgment with the judgment of others, and send me to obey someone who I may unjustly look down upon. Let me desire what you desire, and if my desires are impure, demand that I do those things which I do not desire. My Jesus, if ever I should be satisfied with my "religious practices," dash my confidence against a stone before allowing me to lose sight of blessed obedience. If I should happen to think that I am doing good in all my actions, have one of your lowliest subjects show me to be lowlier. If ever I should pursue you with false intent, tell me in a loud voice of my hypocrisy. Let me not so much as move a finger unless it be as a direct obedience to you and your servants.

I love you, Lord, and want only to please and serve you... so I ask you earnestly to free me from false piety. Let me be an image of love to the world, so that all may know I am yours. Make me a sign of your Cross, of fasting, penance, and true asceticism so that all may see your way through me. Allow me to be hungry, tired, sore, afraid, and in pain... allow my body to waste away... while my face glows with heavenly joy and looks the picture of health, for this will reflect the disposition of my soul. Let me be honest, open, genuine, faithful, and good, so that I can be a symbol of integrity within this world of deceit, and hide nothing. Let me radiate peace and joy. Let me follow a true and fulfilling vocation that leads to you, and be constantly in obedience to your will, so that I may openly submit myself to you and allow my own willfulness to diminish.

1 comment: