Trust in Him

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Second Station


V: We adore You, O Christ, and we praise You. (Genuflect)

R: Because, by Your holy cross, You have redeemed the world. (Rise)

V: Consider Jesus as He walked this road with the cross on His shoulders, thinking of us, and offering to His Father in our behalf, the death He was about to suffer. (Kneel)

R: My most beloved Jesus, / I embrace all the sufferings You have destined for me until death. / I beg You, by all You suffered in carrying Your cross, / to help me carry mine with Your perfect peace and resignation. / I love You, Jesus, my love; / I repent of ever having offended You. / Never let me separate myself from You again. / Grant that I may love You always; and then do with me as You will.

(Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory be.)

O, how sad and sore depressed
Was that Mother highly blessed
Of the sole Begotten One

It was nearing evening as I stood there that day. I was standing on the same soft earth that had been trampled over and over by people traveling to Jerusalem for Passover. No doubt the moon was appearing above clouds touched with red, and the air was light and filled with lovely scents. But I noticed none of these things, my attention was fixed on Jesus. I was watching Him cry, as His friend Lazarus had died. As the tears fell from His soft eyes I realized that He was truly a man who loved His friends. Moments later I saw His face, still radiating sorrow, call Lazarus from the tomb. All around us were astounded, but my whole attention was fixed on the words His mouth was beautifully forming: "I am the resurrection and the life." This man, I knew, would never die... and no one who had ever loved Him would die either.

Almost immediately I saw Him... kneeling with his head laid against a stone. Embracing Him were the wings of an angel, and a great dark fell upon the world. His eyes rose and He gazed at a star, and as I looked I saw Adam biting into the apple, Cain slaughtering Abel, men worshiping idols, the Israelites shouting at Moses, women engrossed in adultery, children filled with hatred... but more disturbing than all this was the image of myself in the star. I was standing in my room, screaming at someone, and that someone had the face of Christ. I wanted to fly into the star and knock myself to the floor as I saw my hand strike Him in the face and my mouth tell Him from the depths of my heart that I hate Him. Within a moment I was on my knees and tears flowed from my eyes.

But it was not over... I could now see in this star a whip, a crown of thorns, a cross, nails, screaming crowds, angry fists... the sight was too much for me to bear and I lowered my eyes, only to hear with my ears the painful words: "If it is possible, let this cup pass from me." My eyes were drawn again to the star, and this man was walking joyfully through the streets and embracing every man. He was standing on a cloud in glory and all His friends were bowing before Him and adoring Him. "But not my will but thine be done," with these words I saw a father raise his hand in blessing and disappear into another nightmare of sin. I cried as I stared into the agonized eyes of this Man who could not keep from longing to bring all these sinners to His heart.

2 comments:

  1. Sadie,
    Your stations reflections are so beautifully powerful and very much needed as we approach Holy Week.
    Thank you for sharing them.
    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Karinann :). I had hoped to post them all through Holy Week, but because I will be away, I am doing it now. Have a very blessed Holy Week...

    ReplyDelete